If you paid Water or Sewer Availability Fees and/or System Development Fees to the Town of Mooresville from November 9, 2015 through March 1, 2021, you may qualify for benefits from a class action settlement.
The information on this website may affect your rights, so please read it carefully.
- A $8,000,000 settlement has been reached in a class-action lawsuit, which alleges that Water and Sewer Availability Fees and/or System Development Fees charged and collected by the Town of Mooresville were unlawful. All persons or organizations who paid Availability Fees and/or System Development Fees to the Town of Mooresville from November 9, 2015 through March 1, 2021 are included in the settlement.
Water and Sewer Availability Fees and System Development Fees are fees charged by the Town of Mooresville November 9, 2015 through March 1, 2021 as a mandatory condition to the Town providing a new or upsized connection to the Town’s water and/or wastewater system.
- Defendant Town of Mooresville denies the claims in the lawsuit. The Court has not decided who is right, but the Defendant and the Plaintiffs who filed the lawsuit have agreed to the settlement.
- Your legal rights are affected whether you act or do not act. Read this Notice carefully.
- These rights and options—and the deadlines to exercise them—are explained in this Notice.
- The Court in charge of this case still has to decide whether to approve the settlement. If it does, and after any appeals are resolved, a settlement fund will be established.
YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS AND OPTIONS IN THIS SETTLEMENT
Submit a Claim
Submit a complete and timely Claim Form to be eligible for payment from the Settlement Fund.
Request to be excluded from the Settlement Class and get no benefits from the settlement. This is the only option that allows you to start or continue a lawsuit against the Defendant about the claims this settlement resolves.
Write to the Court about why you do not like the Settlement.
Go to a Hearing
Ask to speak in Court about the fairness of the Settlement.
Get no benefits. Give up your rights to sue the Defendant for the claims the settlement resolves.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The deadline to submit a Claim Form was 08/10/21 and has now passed.
CHANGE OF ADDRESS FORM
THIS IS NOT A CLAIM FORM. COMPLETING THIS FORM WILL ONLY CHANGE THE ADDRESS THAT WE HAVE ON FILE FOR YOU. IF YOU WISH TO PARTICIPATE IN THE SETTLEMENT, YOU MUST FILE A CLAIM FORM NO LATER THAN AUGUST 10, 2021